“Atomic Bamboozle: The False Promise of a Nuclear Renaissance” is a 46-minute documentary that follows anti-nuclear activists, Tribal leaders, scientists and attorneys as they draw lessons from the decades-long campaign to shut down the Trojan Nuclear Power plant in Oregon and extend those lessons into a new struggle: proposals for small modular nuclear reactors in the Pacific Northwest. Directed by Jan Haaken, the documentary features Columbia Riverkeeper Executive Director Lauren Goldberg and former Columbia Riverkeeper Board of Directors Member Cathy Sampson-Kruse.
- Tickets: Tickets can be purchased in advance or at the door
- Cost: $10 general admission, $8 seniors and students
- Limited number of sponsored tickets available for folks with financial need; contact [email protected] for more information.
- Jan Haaken, director, professor emeritus of psychology at Portland State University, clinical psychologist, and documentary filmmaker
- Lauren Goldberg, executive director for Columbia Riverkeeper with over a decade of experience advocating for Hanford Nuclear Site cleanup
- Lloyd Marbet, executive director Oregon Conservancy Foundation and longtime anti-nuclear activist
- Cathy Sampson-Kruse, associate producer, enrolled member of the Waluulapum Tribe of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, retired social worker, and a champion in protecting clean water from fossil fuels and nuclear waste
- Greg Kafoury, attorney in private practice with Kafoury & McDoougal Attorneys, served as Co-Director of Don't Waste Oregon
- Moderated by Dr. Patricia Kullberg, former medical director of Multnomah County Health Department and member of Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility
*Proceeds from this event will be shared to benefit Columbia Riverkeeper, Oregon Conservancy Foundation, and support the Atomic Bamboozle team in providing future screenings. We’ll kickoff with a screening of "Portrait 2: Trojan," directed by Vanessa Renwick, a Portland-based artist and filmmaker. The meditative five-minute film documents the emotional moment the Trojan tower was finally imploded. Following both documentaries, we will have a discussion and Q&A with a fantastic panel of speakers featured in the film.
With the current rush to fund SMRs at the federal level and pressure from NuScale and other companies in Oregon to overturn state laws restricting nuclear power plants, the timing of this film couldn't be better!
616 NW 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97209
Google map and directions